Filming the Opening Scene

I finished up filming the opening scene today. First, I had to come up with a way to incorporate some relevant information into this idea. Since this is the opening shot, I took a look at my credit sequence list and took the first thing off of the list to be put into this shot; the production company name.

I had to go back into After Effects to edit the C++ "Hello, World!" program. Instead of "Hello, World!", I added the name "Red Mirage" in the only fitting colour; neon red. This also helps separate the name from the rest of the text and guides the eyes of the audience to the important part (I did a whole lot more to emphasize "Red Mirage" in post-production. I keyframed some gaussian blur and de-saturation to gradually cover the entire screen except for the text "Red Mirage", along with a little red glow around it)

Once that was complete, I rendered the file and uploaded it to Google Drive, then downloaded it on my mother's laptop which happens to have a VGA output port, making it the only device in the house, other than my desktop computer, that is capable of outputting the video on to the monitor.

Using the default Windows 10 video player, I set the video on a loop. As the video was playing, I set up the camera on a box and a couple of CD covers because my tripod wouldn't be able to go low enough for the shot. This was the same procedure I followed on Sunday to get the practice shot, however, this time while filming, I made sure to frame the shot so that more of the front of the monitor was visible. This was because I learned a lesson and figured out that a big chunk of the shot would get cropped out due to the widescreen aspect ratio I'm choosing to work in. This will apply to every shot I take so I will be keeping that in mind for all future shots.



I also made sure to bring up the refresh rate of the monitor as high as possible, and then match the video system (PAL), the framerate (25 fps), and the shutter speed (1/50) on the camera to get the minimum amount of flickering. I brought the lights in a little closer to the monitor this time so that they become more noticeable.

In post-production, I applied a free LUT preset I had downloaded a while back known as "Cinematic LUT by Ajay Kumar". This LUT shifted the blue tones to a green tone and changed the red to a shade of orange. I wanted a greenish tint on the film anyway, so that worked out perfectly. Then I overlayed a free 4K smoke overlay from MitchMartinez.com to give a more cinematic feel to the shot. I also faked a dolly-in movement by gradually increasing the scale of the clip a little bit, just to add to the cinematic feel. In the end, the shot turned out to be really good even though there is a lot of noise in the shot...

Comments