Conventional Opening Credit Sequence

I did some research regarding conventional title sequences in film to further my understanding of the subject. I came across "A Guide to Feature Film Opening Credits" on the website, NewEnglandFilm.com. The article was written by Peter Bohush in August 2012, and it basically explained how there is no industry standard for listing people in the opening credits "...except for the contractual or union-mandated billing". However, according to the article, there has been a sequence of credits that has become widely accepted by independent and Hollywood studio productions over the past couple of decades:

  1. STUDIO OR DISTRIBUTION COMPANY
  2. PRODUCTION COMPANY
  3.  IN ASSOCIATION WITH SO-AND-SO PRODUCTION COMPANY
  4.  DIRECTOR’S NAME (or Producer’s)
  5. THE MOVIE STARS
  6. THE TITLE
  7. THE TOP CAST
  8. SUPPORTING CAST
So on and so forth... The list goes on and on, but since there are only 2 other people working on this film opening project, other than myself, I'll have to cut down on the list. I'm not going to be plastering my name all over the film by crediting myself as the director, producer, story writer, set designer, editor, etc. Instead, I'm only putting my name in as the director and producer. I came up with "Red Mirage" on a whim as the production company.

Here's my refined list for my use case:
  1. STUDIO/PRODUCTION COMPANY
  2. DIRECTOR’S/PRODUCER'S NAME
  3. THE MOVIE STARS
  4. THE TITLE


Comments