Working on the Soundtrack...

Just a few days ago, the YouTube channel "Trap Nation" uploaded a cinematic, movie trailer-esque song "Worlds Apart" by artists "Far Out". I liked the intro of the song so I decided to download it and bring it in to Fruity Loops Studio 20 for further processing to see if I could make it work for the project.

The only cinematic part of the song that I wanted to use was in the first 30 or so seconds, after which it starts to become too grand and monumental. I found the tempo of the song to be 87.5 BPM using the help of an online tool and the built-in metronome in FL Studio. This information made the process of editing the song and navigating its different sections a whole lot easier. I then cut out the part of the song I didn't need and began processing what was left behind.

I did a little bit of mastering and equalization to bring up the volume of all the elements of the song, avoiding any clipping or distortion. I didn't want the song to just end abruptly, so I added an impact sound effect I picked out from over 25 GB worth of samples and sound effects that I have accumulated over the past year or so.

I took inspiration from this video by NikkyyHD for the second and main soundtrack. I was amazed by all the work she had put into her video, from the visuals to the music, everything was really interesting. I thought that maybe I can incorporate her remix of Marylin Manson's "Resident Evil Main Title Theme", Three Days Grace's "Chalk Outline", and Maroon 5's "Harder to Breathe" in my film opening. However, for that to happen, I had to remix the song myself because the original mash-up wasn't quite as high quality as I would've liked it to be, and I also want to have a version without the Maroon 5's "Harder to Breathe" vocals. I recorded my progress an hour or so into the making, but I ended up making drastic changes by the end of the day. Here are the final results, one with vocals and the other one without them. I'm going to use the version without the vocals but I'll keep both versions just to be on the safe side.

Comments