Planning the Lighting and Color Grading

The lighting will be kept lowkey. Warm colour temperature will signify warmth and peace while cool temperature lighting will signify isolation and mystery. I will add a green tint just to add to that ominous vibe. I'll be using this movie colour scheme cheat-sheet for inspiration.

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that due to the low light conditions, I will have to bump up the ISO levels on my camera, which will create a lot of coloured noise particles. The video quality will further worsen after being uploaded to YouTube as the tiny particles will get crushed by YouTubes video compression as explained by Tom Scott

Because I don’t own any professional lighting equipment, I will have to improvise. The only lighting equipment at hand is ceiling lights, reading lights, emergency lanterns, a torch and natural light.

The reading lights from IKEA that I will be using for warm temperature lighting:


The emergency lanterns and torches I will be using for cool temperature lighting:



Examples of low-key lighting in cinematography:


Comments